Thursday, December 11, 2008

Bye Bye Boobies Maiden Voyage

Welcome! You found me! 

If you are here, either you know me, or you were looking for something weird (I don't want to know what you googled to get here!) Regardless, I'm glad you are here. 

Today is December 11. In 2-1/2 weeks, I am going to be having a double mastectomy, with a DIEP flap reconstruction. 

Why, you ask? I'm a 6 year breast cancer survivor. My mom was diagnosed at age 37. I was diagnosed at age 36. I opted for a lumpectomy and radiation. The cancer was aggressive and I ended up having chemo anyway. Had I known that (knowing what I know now), the question will always be "Did I make the right decision in not having a mastectomy?" 

Well, I could torture myself over that one, or I could just realize that at the time I feel I made the best choice for me. 

A little over a month ago, I found another lump on the same breast the cancer was on. Ready, set, go. That involved several doctors appointments, mammograms, ultrasounds, and searching on the internet. The mammo and ultrasound didn't show any sign of cancer. But my surgeon wants to take out the lump (another lumpectomy). 

My thoughts were, "Well, then why not just take them both off, and I don't have to deal with the anxiety anymore." 

I also should mention that I had another scare a few years ago where my world stopped for a few weeks and I got another biopsy on the other breast. It was benign. 

I just turned 42 on Tuesday (oh did you miss my birthday? I'll still accept late presents).  My mom was re-diagnosed in her early 40's with a recurrence of breast cancer. She passed away when she was 47. I was 25. 

I'm going for the gusto, as they say.

I've done my research. I've consulted doctors. I've cried with Tim. I've chatted with friends. I've spent a lot of time by myself and done some soul searching. 

I have decided it's a quality of life issue. So, December 29th. Happy New Year to me! 

And yes, the breast tissue will be sent off to pathology, because, as you know, it's not over til the pathology says "It's benign!" That should happen a few days after the surgery. 

This will be my side blog (in all my spare time), where you can keep up with me and find out more about my recovery, my fabulous new boobs, my flat tummy, my 6 weeks of no housework, etc. 

I'm excited, anxious, nervous, impatient, scared, happy, and so many other emotions. And lucky you. You get to hear about all of them as they come up. 

As you know, I just started www.ThereIsLifeAfterBreastCancer.com I have a 10 year marketing plan for the company, the series, etc. I want to make sure I can complete it!

I'm not done yet, so I'm doing what I can to make sure I will be here for a long, long time. 

If only I had taken better care of myself! HA! 

Please bookmark this site, or RSS it (email me if you don't know how to subscribe and I'll walk you through it). 

Love, 

Hayley 

3 comments:

Ellen said...

Dearest Hayley,
Your positive attitude is an inspiration to all women. Most of all, women diagnosed with breast cancer.
I pray you will be cured.
Ellen V.

Margerie said...

I am so happy you have this option, yet sad you have to go through another surgery. Life is not freakin' fair.

As a fellow breast recycler, I can assure you that you will be just as fabulous afterwards!! Oh yah, and you can have a bra-burning party too ;)

Best to you and Tim!

Anonymous said...

Hayley,

Tommorrow, in your honor, my girls shall roam free under a white t-shirt. Who knows (or cares) what looks or comments this may elicit. I don't care.

I pray for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery for you. I hope your belly button is centered, and your new girls are perfect and perky.

Here's to the cancer-free boobs you'll wake up with on Tuesday.

Nettie