Saturday, December 27, 2008

The View Changes




We have lived in this house for 7-1/2 years. I love, love, love my house. If you know me, chances are that you do too. It's got charm, it's got character, it's got great views. 

This is the view out my office. I love that it changes all the time. It's the same, only different. I have literally hundreds of pictures of this view. I try to incorporate my palm tree (which just happens to be in my neighbors back yard.) In case you are wondering why it looks like I am overlooking a beach, it's the neighbor's rock roof! 








The neighbors are remodeling. The first thing they did? They took down MY palm tree (which just happened to be in their back yard). The tree that was probably 50 years old (same age as the houses was gone in mere moments. With each cut, another piece dropped heavily to the ground and it felt like an earthquake - my windows rattled, the entire hilltop shook. And things changed.








I was presented with another view. I am delighted to report, however, the view is just as good, if not maybe a tiny bit better.












I'm going to wager that there was a reason the tree came down when it did. Another one of those life lessons. 

The view represents me. The tree represents my breasts. 

Once this mastectomy is complete, the view will still be great, if not maybe even a tiny bit better. 

I'm hoping the rock roof represents the soon to be tummy-turned-into-breasts and that the neighbor will be getting a decent roof as I get a flat tummy. Those rock roofs are frickin' ugly.




2 comments:

Margerie said...

The view is lovely no matter how you slice it. OOOhh bad pun! I have scars on my trunk too. It shows me everyday how much stronger I have become.

I love your house too!

Licia Berry said...

HAYLEY!!!
You have GOT to go to my new favorite blog where i just read a VERY PERTINENT entry on the symbology of palm trees: http://symbolic-meanings.com/2008/11/04/palm-tree-symbolism/
GO GO GO there...you will love it!
xoxoxo
licia berry